Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Finding Strength

About a month and a half ago, I started doing Crossfit.  As it and the crossfit lifestyle become more a part of my life, I'll be posting about my experiences with it here.  As a bit of background, I grew up playing all sorts of sports and played volleyball, basketball and tennis in high school.  I've run a few half marathons, did a pretty intense bootcamp for about two and a half years, and even completed the Dallas Tough Mudder a few months ago.  But crossfit? It's a different story.

Day one was, ah, humbling.  I had just finished the mudder a few weeks before and was feeling pretty pat-on-the-back good about my physical conditioning.  My gym requires the Elements classes that brief you on all of the crossfit moves.  The squats are deeper than I was used to, the push-ups are chest-to-ground (which for some reason I find a little easier than the typical push-up) and when you (ahem, I) have trouble with technique holding a PVC pipe for a bar, you know you're in for some learning.

But I finished those classes really...excited.  It's going to be challenging, it's going to push me. And from what I've read on other blogs, websites, etc., it's supposed to be. As "they" say, it doesn't get easier, you just get stronger.  And I'm really looking forward to getting stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment